Sunday, April 11, 2010

Summer Plant Kick Off, Part 2

Part two of my warm weather plant kick off contains seedlings. Lots of seedlings (a lot for me at least). I'm hoping to have these plants all moved outdoors and in their permanent homes by the end of April, beginning of May.

Here is my new light set up with mostly bush beans, all vying for the light's rays. The set of beans sitting on the heat mat on the far right are seeds I had to restart because of rotting.
This is actually the third time I'm restarting some seeds because of rotting that occurred while using the paper towel/baggy method (my error, not the method itself). I've learned that setting fully closed bags on the heat mat really speeds up rotting, but an open bag on the heat mat dries out too fast. So next time, no heat mat.

In the orange pots are two more tomato plants. Time to move the light up!

In the middle of the above tray are my Charentais Isabella melons... Here's a close up. I'm planning on putting these in the bed next to the tomatoes (where my alliums are currently taking forever to mature).
Below, the tiny seedlings on the left are more Baby Belle peppers, and on the right are my Bush Slicer cucumbers. I placed two seeds in each pot because I was concerned some had spoiled in the wet paper towel/baggy... Guess I was wrong! The peppers will go into more SWP's, and cucumbers will go into an 18 gallon SWP tote.
The newspaper pots are difficult to move around if they're moist, so extra gentle handling is a must. Other than that, they're holding up well, and I'm happy with them. 

4 comments:

  1. These seedlings look great. I must get a grow light. I already warned my husband that I would be getting one for next growing season :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I'm not the only one whose living room looks like a greenhouse! Your seedlings look great, and you have a really nice assortment of plants. It looks like you managed to sort out your lighting rig too. Our peppers also sprouted better than expected...I think we're going to have to give some away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sylvana~Yes, you must get one! ;-) I love my light. Just make sure you get a big enough one the first time instead of having to buy again like me...

    Curbstone~ HAHA It's my dining room (same difference right?), but this growing season is the most we've ever used it! LOL I always sprout more than I plan to grow too... It's so hard having to give up the extra ones, and I find myself trying to find spots for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh....your plants are looking really good! I'm glad that light is working well for ya.

    ReplyDelete