The weather has finally warmed up here, and my peppers growing in SWPs are finally starting to perk up. Ok, I admit they're not looking the healthiest, but three of five are starting to bear fruit (one is too young).
At first I thought they looked sickly because of the unusually cool temps and rain, and more recently because of over watering--not that I can control that in these containers at this point, but then I lifted up one of the lids...
So, let's see.. All five pepper plants, and one of two cucumbers have moldy soil, leaving my 18 gallon SWP with melons and a Tumbling Tom, and one cucumber fuzzless. *Enter pitiful winy cries* I took the lids off of all the affected plants, scraped off what mold I could then sprayed with Neem Oil. Did you know that all molds are fungi, but not all fungi are molds? Sounds like a square, rectangle thing... I'm going to keep the lids off for the rest of the season, and let the soil dry out for as long as I can to see if this helps. I don't know what else to do... Chime in if you have ideas!
July 2026 Update
1 week ago

It wouldn't hurt to try a cornmeal spray on them. It worked wonders on my garlic last year, and it's cheap enough there's no loss if it doesn't work. Just dissolve a cup of cornmeal (NOT corn gluten), I use the same brand I make cornbread with, in a quart of water overnight. Strain it and put the liquid in a spray bottle, then spray your plants and soil. It's a good fungicide.
ReplyDeleteYuck. I hope that the sun can help out the fungus issue. I know there are some sprays you can buy to get rid of fungal issues, but I don't know what kinds.
ReplyDeleteOh, Granny, thank you! I'm getting the solution started right now!
ReplyDeleteI have major mold problems too! I think I will try the cornmeal too! I hope it works. The mold looks like thick cotton under my tomato and pepper plants! So discouraging! Hope it works! For both of us!
ReplyDeleteOh, no! I know nothing about the fungus, but Granny usually has some pretty good tips, I would defer to her - happy corn-mealing, and let us know how it turns out. I have found that we are never immune, what one gardener gets one year, the other may get the next, or in 5 years, but definitely at some point.
ReplyDeletehmmm, my word verification was "reefer" - really??? Makes me wonder about the guys who designed that word generator software LOL
ReplyDeleteI have no clue. I try not to grow things in pots unless I really have to. I've never even made a SWC. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHmmm....Have you experienced lots of cool, rainy days? I hope you get things turned around!
ReplyDelete