For a few days, I've been testing the soil temperature in my beds to see if I can start sowing seeds. I've discovered that my two raised beds along the patio are about 20 degrees cooler than the SFG along the house. I was originally going to start my fall crops in my SFG but I've decided to end there, hoping that by the time I'm ready to plant there, it'll be cool enough so the soil won't reach 100 degrees!
Today I added soil amendment and grass clippings to the right raised bed where my watermelon and sweet potatoes were residing (I ripped the watermelon out a week or two ago). I've been going back and forth on whether to keep or chuck my sweet potatoes since they haven't been growing, and finally ripped them out today. Here's what had grown:
The long skinny one in the middle is about the length of a new pencil.
But, I just couldn't trash them! So, I put them back. HAHAHA! Who knows what they'll do now that they've been disturbed, but I just didn't have the heart to let them go! Also, when I put them back, I put them on the left side (vs the front, where they were) so I can start my carrots and lettuce on the right.

In addition to my sweet potatoes, I've also decided to keep my cantaloupe for a while longer because they've started growing again, and are
finally producing both male and females. I was able to hand pollinate 3 this week (one, however, was chomped on by a slug, and won't make it). I tried googling how long it will take the fruit to complete growth from pollination to maturity, but couldn't find anything. Anyone out there know this?

On a side note, I'm starting cardio kickboxing classes next week. It's not an aerobics class, mind you, but full blown kickboxing! I'm totally crazy for doing this, as I've never done any kind of martial arts, let alone been that active in about 15 years, but I've always wanted to do something like this, and finally got the nerve to sign myself up!
Here's the LO testing out my gloves...

Cheers!
Way too much fun!! I'm a bit frustrated with my garden as well. Things will either look up soon, or it will certainly look up next spring.
ReplyDelete